Victoria, British Columbia
Victoria is the capital city of Canada’s province British Columbia. It is located on the southern most tip of Vancouver Island and is the most southern part of Western Canada. It is about 100km from British Columbia’s largest city, Vancouver, on the mainland. It is accessible by air or by boat. Greater Victoria has a population of about 365,000.
Named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, it is one of the oldest cities of the Pacific Northwest, settled by the British in 1843. The city has maintained many of its original buildings including the impressive Legislature buildings and the Empress Hotel. It is also known as the Garden City with its beautiful flower gardens throughout. Many tourists flock to the popular Butchart Gardens.
The harbour is a busy place and is easily walkable. Popular for both boaters and retirees, it has the most temperature year-round climate within Canada with warm dry summers and mild, wet winters with little to no snow. Due to the mild climate, it is home to interesting birds, plants and trees. The economy is primarily technology, tourism, education and BC’s provincial government. The city is easily accessible by foot, bicycle, bus or car. Victoria’s waterfront harbour is a busy place with water taxis, private floatplanes, tour boats and private boats. If you’re thinking of visiting this lovely place, you will be sure to be impressed! The best time of year to visit to avoid larger crowds would be spring (March, April, May) or fall (September, October).
Some of the most popular tourist spots are:
- Butchart Gardens
- Royal British Columbia Museum
- Craigdarroch Castle
- Beacon Hill Park
- British Columbia Parliament Buildings – eat at the Legislature
- Fisguard Lighthouse Historic National Site
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Ogden Point – to see the cruiseships
- Walk the waterfront’s Inner Harbour, take a water taxi, boat tour, helicopter or plane tour whale watching tour
- Empress Hotel, Emily Carr House, Robert Bateman Centre, Christ Church Cathedral, Miniature World, Chinatown
- Near Victoria National Airport – see the town of Sidney, BC
Some useful links:
Have you ever been to Victoria?